How it all
began - "The history of Ollie Damon's"
Ollie Damon XII and Ollie Damon XIII
opened a hobby and toy store in 1945.
Perhaps not wanting to argue over a
name, they called the store Ollie
Offering Radio Flyer wagons, dolls,
model airplanes and such, that served
needs of a postwar America deserving
of some family time. A year later,
tackle was added to the product mix.
The father and son team bought spinners
from such legendary names as Ernie
Poulsen (Poulsen Cascade) and Arlo
(the founder of Allsports Supply, the
largest wholesale house in the
The progression of the business brought
direct relationships with manufactures.
Soon father and son were purchasing goods directly from Shakespeare, Penn
and Garcia. Expansion saw the addition of airguns by Crosman, Daisy,
and Sheridan. As the store developed its position as a prominent Portland
sporting goods store, the merchandise that had been going out over the
became due for service. In 1954 Ollie Damon's was brought on as a Crosman
Warranty/Repair center (and remains to this day the oldest in the U.S.).
Ollie Damon's became a Coleman Repair Center.
Throughout the 1960's, Ollie Damon's
notoriety for repair spread to the
reels. They added service for Penn, Shimano and virtually every major
urer to their business. They were the pioneers to the field, with such
as being the second Shimano Repair Center in the U.S., missing the number
position by two days. Soon they were fixing just about everything in the
category, including outboard motors. It became a marked transition for
ness, with a larger emphasis on repair and service. Wisely, dollars
earned in this
area were reinvested into the parts inventory.
The 1970's saw continued growth for
Ollie Damon's which would mark the
of the business. As the decade wound to a close, factories were bringing
increasing amount of repair centers, chipping away from the foundation of
business. Early in the 1980's Ollie XIII suffered a massive heart attack.
an early quadruple bypass to save his life, the procedure also put him in
for a full year. Ownership of Ollie Damon's changed hands in 1984.
Rich and Susan Basch purchased Ollie
Damon's in 1992. Continuing a tradition
began 47 years earlier, they have maintained an emphasis on the service
side of the
Rich and Susan would like to extend a
personal "Thank you" for visiting our
and invite you to visit us soon!